Openvpn

jfjong

Openvpn

Post by jfjong » 20 Feb 2021, 11:11

Hi,

My provider has developed an option to use Openvpn to access the content. Would it be possible to add support in the 605 GUI for this? There is for example: https://github.com/corrad1nho/qomui

I have experimented adding the Openvpn client on my router and enabling routing rules for my 605 to go through the tunnel. This works. However because I am using xtreme-editor API to generate the EPG, then I shorten the URL generated by tinyurl.com, even when adding explicit routing for those two networks to bypass the VPN tunnel and use the WAN, it doesn't work. All I get is "can't load channel list". Testing this routing configuration using a PC works perfectly. It seems to me that the 605 want's to access some other net on boot, which fails.

I guess I have to use Wireshark...

Native Openvpn support in the box would be nice.

ftor

Re: Openvpn

Post by ftor » 20 Feb 2021, 11:46

The 605 is supported android, on android you can install any apps

jfjong

Post by jfjong » 20 Feb 2021, 17:14

Not on my 605. I only have Default and Beta as firmware choices. Besides, I prefer running QT Linux

MisterQ

Post by MisterQ » 21 Feb 2021, 11:12

@jfjong
May I ask what router and vpn provider you are using?
I have Asus RT-AC51U and tried to install PureVpn and later tried with SurfShark vpn, but it doesn't work. I contacted their support and they tried to help me by Teamviewer, but not even them are successful. PPTP works but not OpenVpn. What combination of router and vpn provider works for you?
Or is it possible that my isp are blocking OpenVpn?

jfjong

Post by jfjong » 21 Feb 2021, 14:59

I have an RT-AC66U and it works perfectly with OpenVPN. But I am using AsusWRT-Merlin firmware.The routing tables also work so I can control which traffic goes through the tunnel and which bypasses it, but that doesn't work with the 605, for some reason. I did a workaround by having a Cron job in the router and have it download the EPG and channel list, then the 605 grabs them from there. It works. But OpenVPN support in the box would be better.

MisterQ

Post by MisterQ » 26 Feb 2021, 13:12

@dfjong I got it to work with OpenVpn in my RT-AC51U, original Firmware with SurfShark. Epg is also working. Maybe it depends of what supplier of iptv you are using. The only problem is the (lack of) speed. SurfShark is so slow, at least in my country

ftor

Post by ftor » 26 Feb 2021, 14:24

You could to try use openvpn on router and send all routes to vpn and check your TV from box.

jfjong

Post by jfjong » 28 Feb 2021, 13:54

"You could to try use openvpn on router and send all routes to vpn and check your TV from box."

This is what I ended up doing (read one of my replies above) and it works fine. However, the selective routing in the openVPN config on the router does not work (no channels, no EPG) as I also described since the 605 seems to try to access something else during boot.

Never mind. My setup is working. Still. It would be nice to have OpenVPN support right in the box.

ftor

Post by ftor » 01 Mar 2021, 11:44

jfjong wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 13:54
"You could to try use openvpn on router and send all routes to vpn and check your TV from box."

This is what I ended up doing (read one of my replies above) and it works fine. However, the selective routing in the openVPN config on the router does not work (no channels, no EPG) as I also described since the 605 seems to try to access something else during boot.

Never mind. My setup is working. Still. It would be nice to have OpenVPN support right in the box.
This boxes are provider oriented a lot of features aren't available for end users.

jfjong

Post by jfjong » 03 Mar 2021, 01:38

Some providers, including the one I use, are offering VPN as an added service to customers. The configuration comes as packaged scripts for most OSes but because TVIP STBs are closed, it is not possible to enable VPN. I suggest adding an option for this in the GUI, to import a config file - OpenVPN in the case of Linux, APK for Android for those who chose that OS. Simple as that.